Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

A Safe Environment is relative

Lately there was news about Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease being welcomed into the San Francisco Zoo amongst their Australian Parakeet/Cockatiel Free- Flight Exhibit. No big deal to them.... I shared this article with many of my clients so that they would be educated and not go there!

Can I guarantee that my home is a safe environment? No. Once you or I walk outside we can pick up fomites from wild bird droppings. If you or I walk into a bird store...same problem...disease is airborne and easily transferred via our clothes and shoes. We can take precautions but there are no guarantees.

Can we keep our beloved parrots in a glass bubble? Not me! I want my birds to experience the fresh air and sunshine so I put them outside on nice days. I enjoy caring for parrots and ask that any incoming bird have a healthy history with their avian veterinarian. But even going to the vet can be risky! After all, that's where sick birds go as well.

One must be realistic. A healthy bird can resist a lot of things. To isolate them in a sterile environment is not allowing their immune system to work. Children who were allowed to play in the dirt have better immune systems than children who today are constantly cleaned and disinfected... weigh the benefits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home