Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Palm Oil Success?

I've spoken often of my fluffy grey, Buster. I just figure we'll go through cycles of being fluffier than other times. For the last month, I've been giving him (and all my parrots) red palm oil. I originally read about it helping feather picking greys in a booklet by Pamela Hutchinson. "Complete Guide to the African Grey." I got online and ordered some through Tropical Traditions Inc. This stuff is orange and greasy. Not easy to use or clean up. But, I have seen a wonderful improvement in Buster's feathers. He now has a chest full of grey feathers! I keep telling him how handsome he is and I am continuing all the other practices...showers, good diet, good light, and lots of preening activites available. This progress could all go away in one day, but I am pleased to report my success to date. I keep the jar in the fridge and use a melon scooper to scrape the hard oil out. It melts quickly when placed on food. He like it best on pasta but I put it on his grains and veggies too. All the birds seem to love it. Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home