Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

PJ GOFFINS UPDATE



As you can see, PJ is growing out some feathers. My hope is that we can get her to be more comfortable and leave them alone. For now, the hard collar stays on.

I am working with PJ and clicker training. She is not very interested and I have to be very patient. She seems intent on being up on the ropes and uncomfortable "working" on the bed. She loves hanging out up on the boinggg and furiously rips at the threads of the rope. Her agitation and frantic preening of the rope worries me.

The only other place that she seems comfortable is on my shoulder. I am not allowing that, however, she does climb frantically up and begins to preen my hair. I gently bring her down and redirect her attention. Residing on the shoulder is too close. This position allows way to much sexual bonding. The best thing you can do with your bird is to teach it something, not cuddle her.

PJ does not seem at ease yet. Goffins are certainly hyper active but I want to get her to step back a little and learn to play without such anxiety.

Feather destruction is a challenge. I will continue to work with PJ and will post updates periodically.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home