Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Buster My Fluffy Grey


Feather Picking...such a problem. Those of us who have parrots that pick take on a lot of guilt and try just about anything to manage the situation. My own Congo Grey, Buster has gone from a light picker to fully feathered and back to a heavy picker. I don't care what he looks like and will love and keep him forever, however, I am worried that he may progress to "mutilation" and get open sores.

Therefore, I made the decision to collar him. This is not something I promote. I feel the hard collars are best used to keep animals away from wounds while they heal. I want to get his feathers to grow back. I am medicating him now with Halperidol. Again, this is my attempt to break this pattern. I have no delusion that this is "the answer". But combining this with all the other environmental adjustments to his life is worth a try.

Feather Destructive Behavior is a mystery. Why do they do this? Bored? Anxious? Itchy? Is it diet related? Are they reacting to too much attention or not enough attention? Is our reaction or lack of reaction increasing the behavior?

Buster hates, absolutely hates, the collar. I ask myself over and over if I'm doing the right thing. Will he get used to it and eventually enjoy a full body of feathers again? When it comes off, will the feather picking return? Probably... that's why this is so difficult.

Along with the collar and the medication I am going to use clicker training to reinforce any positive behaviors.

I have the new air purifier unit, the UV lights, the hepa air cleaners, the Venta air washer, the full spectrum lights, the bird shower, the outdoor cages, and loads and loads of preening and foraging toys. I even had my friend make a custom black out cage cover to insure dark undisturbed sleep. In other words, I am trying to provide the best possible environment.

My next plan of attack will be diet related. Maybe this is food allergies. He eats his Harrison's Pellets very well. Should I limit his other foods? I may cook my next batch of Psittacine Cuisine without any wheat in it. Could wheat or glutin be the culprit? Rices are safe and the oat groats should be fine but something may be irritating him making him itchy.

This is a long road to recovery for this little grey boy. I will keep you posted with the ups and downs. Wish us luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home