Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Taming The Wild Tiel

I've had my work cut out for me this week. Irwin and Not Irwin have been guests. These two beautiful cockatiel hens live in a large cage together at their home. My job this week was to try to tame them down.

One of them is tamer than the other. So, I naturally started with her! The other would watch and hopefully see that I wasn't an evil person. I had originally put them in a large Hoei house cage...this didn't work because the door was small. I moved them to a cage with an easier access. I now have them both coming out without much fuss. Their "reward" is to get a rest period on the playtree. After they cooperate with a few step ups, they are placed on the tree to relax and await the return to the cage. "Oh no, here she comes again with that step up request!" With patience, persistence, and low energy, eventually they will relax and enjoy coming to the hand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home