Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Three Different Approaches


I am working with three different problems with three different approaches. Greysie, the upside down congo grey, is here because she has bonded too closely with her mom and dad. She is extremely smart and very VERY talkative. I've never known a grey that talks, whistles, beeps, barks, more than Greysie. She is almost always verbal. While here, I am giving her lots to do as I direct that intelligence towards rewarding activities. She revels in solving foraging toys and I have plenty of them for her!

PJ, the Goffins Cockatoo hiding among the stringy swing, is here because she is way too bonded to her mom and dad. Sound familiar? Only PJ directs her separation anxiety at herself. She nervously picks her feathers. PJ has been very busy shredding the paper and cardboard in her cage. I added a swing that is designed for feather pickers, to her environment. She took to it with much comfort. She nestles into the moppy mess and preens it like it is a neighboring bird. Cockatoos, like many parrots, will roost shoulder to shoulder with others. This is a comforting solution for this nervous little girl.
Buster, my fluffy grey, is being treated for feather picking too. He does not easily wear a feather protector vest so I am treating him with medication. He has been on Halperidol for one month now. He is growing feathers on his back. I am hopeful. He still overpreens his chest, but perhaps the medication will be successful. We shall see.

Three birds, three problem behaviors, three potential solutions. Lesson to be learned? Too much love can cause problems with your parrot. If you are the most desired activity in your bird's day....better rethink what this is doing to your bird.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home