Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Friday, April 29, 2011

My Philosophy


Cute Baby or Smart Student?
 Recently, I was contacted by a breeder that wants me to work with a new mom of a cockatoo baby.  She had taught the basics but wanted someone local to reinforce the proper foundations of the early years.  It made me think about what my philosophy is.

My philosophy is to encourage the proper type of relationship with the parrot. Making the role one of a parent or teacher, not a mate or lover. I always emphasise what is best for the bird.
However, some people can't keep themselves from cooing and cuddling. They often see their fluffy white cockatoo as a baby that needs and gives "love" not a long lived, intelligent wild being with instincts to attract a mate, defend a territory, and procreate. Life can get very confusing for a parrot.

The only relationship they have is the one with the family. And that one is often disfunctional because it doesn't satisfy their natural urges. But if one can redirect all of those urges to instructional play and challenging tasks (foraging), the bird's self esteem can be boosted and the energies can be dissipated.

The problems come with the fact that these guys live "forever" and they are so high maintenance. Keeping them challenged and teaching them to entertain themselves is an ongoing project. If they don't do the work in the beginning years, they will end up with a monster or brat of their own creation.

Education and support is a passion for me. Keeping parrots in their homes is a goal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home