Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Monday, May 26, 2008

Different Cockatoo Different Handling

This is Lucca. He has been known to bite hard. He looks sweet, right? I only had two days of caring for this handsome guy so I accelerated the handling process. I usually like a new bird to get used to me for a day before handling. I spent time talking to him and caring for the three other parrots. He was making gestures of nervousness like chattering his beak and pacing in a horizontal position. After he relaxed, I allowed him to come out onto his cage door. I gave him some head skritches which he adored. Then I simply wrapped a large white towel around him front the front. He accepted this easily.



Umbrella Cockatoos are sometimes shy and fearful. They can bite out of fear and then fall in love with the drama of the result. "Wow, that is exciting!"

It is very difficult to not allow drama to be the reward. When you
are getting bitten, a reaction is unavoidable. The best method is to not get bitten...easy to say! I carried Lucca out to the "sky gyms" and sat with him a while talking calmly. He relaxed and I put him up to hang out with the flock. Once he had this calm experience, he was easy to handle. However, a male cockatoo like this should always be keenly observed for signs of anxiousness that can lead to a nasty bite. The best way to avoid a sudden bite keep eye contact as you walk with them and talk about where they are going and what they are going to do. They pick up on this and become interested in what is happening. A calm presence is essential.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home