Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Thursday, September 25, 2008

LESSON LEARNED



It could happen to anyone. We never think it will happen to us but, it happened to me yesterday. Why admit it? Because I want to illustrate how devastating and real this experience is and warn you all...it can happen to you.

He had just arrived yesterday morning and his mom and I discussed his abundance of flight feathers. I should have trimmed him right then and there but for some reason...

I went to bring in Kiku, a cute sweet boarding Blue Crown conure, from the outdoor cage. He had certainly enjoyed being out on a beautiful fall day. He has been here many times and has always easily stepped up and come inside without any problem.


Kiku got momentarily flustered upon seeing me and flew over to me at the door. (This has never happened before.) He was by me in a flurry and flash.

I cannot describe the gut-wrenching sick feeling I felt at that moment. But, I immediately went into action mode. I sensed he had made it to the eave or roof so I ran to get a ladder and climbed onto the roof and looked in every corner. No Kiku.

The amazing thing was how quiet it was. Kiku is not a quiet bird and I expected to hear him call out. Nothing.

I ran around the property calling his name and checking the shrubs, trees, and ground. All quiet...nothing. I used my cell phone and called all the people who could come right away as I rang doorbells and checked neighbors gardens. People were eager to help. "What do we say or do?" they asked. Call his name, "Kiku" sweetly and say, "step up" because that's like "come" to a bird. I also called Kiku's owners which was the hardest call I've ever made.

I had my family and friends searching so I ran in and printed out quickly-made flyers to post on every telephone pole. I couldn't find a photo of Kiku right away so I just said Lost Parrot, 14" green Blue Crown Conure, my phone number and REWARD! I think it would be prudent for you to make a Lost Parrot flyer with the photo and information on it and keep it ready to open on your computer. That way, if this happens, you will have it ready to go on a moment's notice. When this type of escape happens, time is the most important factor.

I think it would be a good idea to have a simple photo of the bird for this purpose. (I always try to capture unique playful or preening poses....a plain photo of the bird on a perch is more descriptive. One of you holding the bird will give a better idea of size.) My sons took staple guns and plastered the neighborhood with the flyers.

My dear friend Shelley who had rushed up to help had her sister calling all the veterinarians in my area. Her friend, Terry, was posting to CraigsList about the lost parrot. All this from their own homes. What a team! I was about to email Gary Bogue, the local wildlife columnist, to hopefully get a mention in his column the next morning but decided to get back outside to search. The email to Gary could wait until later.

Shelley was walking the perimeter of the property again and calling for Kiku. Somewhere deep inside the hedge, Kiku responded. He had flown into the middle of the hedge, well hidden, and had remained very quiet until he heard Shelley calling. (Shelley has played with Kiku many times while in my home.) We both entered the hedge and Kiku gladly stepped onto my hand. I brought him to my chest and held on to my little bundle until I could climb down the embankment and get him inside. The feeling of relief was immeasureable.

Looking back, I think the first time that I walked along the hedge calling for him, I was excited, desperate, and my adrenaline was pumping. Kiku was also excited and afraid and had his own adrenaline rush. He remained silent to protect himself from danger. Parrots are very sensitive to your energy level!

He was missing for one hour but it seemed like six! I am so proud of how my friends, neighbors, and family came rushing to help. His mom and dad arrived and we rejoiced at his safe return. We also clipped his flight feathers! A happy ending to a traumatic event.

I hope by reading this you will give some thought to how you would react in this situation.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home