Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Lulli Sends His Love



Lulli is a big boy. He is playing on the Atom hanging from my office ceiling as I type.

Some of his posturing is easy to misread if you aren't familiar with macaws.

Luckily, my BG Macaw, Molly, has the same posturing and I know what it means.

The "Fluffle Head" can look menacing but it actually says, "Hello, aren't I cute?"

Of course, there is only a subtle difference to the "Go ahead, make my day" stance.

The raised wings and horizontal posturing is actually "throwing a kiss". Again, it can look especially threatening.




Knowing the body language and respecting the bird is everything when handling someone else's parrot.
It takes a little while for the guest bird to settle into our routine around here and I always go very slow the first day. I like to let them get their bearings.
I find that if the first handling experience is successful, the comfortability level goes up from there for both of us.
Relaxing and staying calm and confident is imperative. Your energy level is like electricity that travels right down your arm to the parrot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home