Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Buster Update


Buster is growing his chest feathers again! I have ups and downs with my Buster Boy but I love the ups. His chest was all fluffy down just a few weeks ago. Now, those scalloped feathers are appearing. I know that many of you experience the same frustrations.
Have I done anything new? Not really. He has the best environment possible. A very busy cage with loads of things to do. A full spectrum light, plus lots of outdoor time during nice weather. Good food, lots of showers, etc. I have been adding pro-biotics to his cooked grains lately but I do not consider it the miracle cure for feather picking. In fact, I quite expect these scallops to dissappear at any time.
What makes him do it? Who knows. Anxiety? Boredom? Hormones? I know that his feather challenges make me feel guilty. What am I missing?
One thing that puzzles me immeasurably is that some greys that are kept in tiny cages and not fed what I would consider a great diet usually look beautiful. But I'll keep trying to solve this behavioral problem. Buster is a happy bird and has a wonderful life. I just keep plugging away at possible ways to improve his feathers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home