Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Saturday, May 29, 2010

BB and Knuckles

Big Bird, on the left, and Knuckles, on the right, are staying with me while their home is reconstructed after a fire. Big Bird is an active and young female. Knuckles, on the other hand, is an older male that has mobility issues. They are both accustomed to being out on a stand much of the time. Some people think that being out on a stand offers more freedom and is kinder than a cage. However, it is my philosophy that a cage actually offers more opportunities for activity and play. A parrot can climb around and transit along the cage bars which is good exercise. A cage also offers a feeling of safety and comfort. Every bird needs his or her personal space. Knuckles was not moving around his cage. He was "glued" to the perch by his food bowls and closest to Big Bird. Yesterday, I wondered what would happen if I switched the position of the cages. I reversed their location and, within a minute, Knuckles moved to the opposite end of his cage! He now moves from one side to the other to visit Big Bird and then go eat. His two favorite things. I am optimistic that this will get him more active and might even get him interested in chewing on his toys!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home