Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

When NOT to pick up your parrot.


Here are two instances when I really think about how (or if) to pick up my parrot. One is Josey Wales when he's totally exhilarated and worked up into a frenzy while showering. Sometimes it looks like he spins his head completely around as his shutters and fluffs and trembles. Yes, he LOVES his shower, but I must approach him using eye contact and distinct verbal cues when I collect him to go back to his cage or stand. The other photo is of Mikey my son's eclectus. (He's staying with me temporarily.) He can be sweet and obedient. Or...he can lower his posture and bite the cage as if to say, "Go ahead...make my day!" Obviously, I respect his mood and will distract or detour him to change his posture before I stick my hand out for a "step up." This is not difficult stuff. It's just a matter of respecting your parrot and being able to read his body language and moods. Most biting behavior happens when you're not paying that much attention to the parrot. You just assume that when your hand is offered he'll step up like a good little parrot. Be observant and you'll have a better relationship! We all have our moods! Which reminds me....when you are stressed, anxious, or in a hurry....a bite might occur because your mood is reflecting to the bird. Parrots get scared when your personality is "different."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home