Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Monday, April 7, 2008

Dangerous Toy

I was able to prevent a terrible accident today when I arrived for my daily visit to care for some parrots. To alleviate any boredom during her absence, the mom purchased some local bird toys. This particular one had an orange basket as one of its parts. This basket was demolished overnight and when I came in the next day, the long threads were loose and hanging treacherously. These threads were not the common cotton thread that we often use that easily breaks. The thread here would not break even when I pulled very hard on it. It reminded me of kite string. Imagine what would have happened if the big congo grey got himself tangled up. I might have happened on a very sad situation. Nightmares are made of such thoughts.

Please always check the strength of the threads used in your bird's toys. I assumed that since this was a toy manufactured for birds, it would be safe. Wrong. I will now be suspicious of any strings.

Try to purchase your bird toys from people who pride themselves on safe toys. There are many out there. Also beware of buying simple items at craft stores and using them to enrich your bird's environment. These may be made overseas and have unsafe chemicals, metals, or string used in them. Something as innocent as a basket could take a life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home