Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Monday, September 14, 2009

Getting to know Star the Red Belly




Star is a different sort of bird. He requires respect and understanding of his mental and emotional well being. After all, this is his first stay here and it must seem strange to him. I was quite surprised one morning when I went to insert a special bathing bowl for him on the floor of his cage. Star must have gone into some sort of territorial rage. He flew at my hand and latched on to my finger hard! I placed him on the play station in the center of the room...(calmly and without swearing!)
After that startling incident, I find it much smarter and safer if I place him on the play area prior to taking his cage to task.

Star is a smart cookie and I need to fill his toys and maintain some foraging items for him.

You can see that he loves chewing on the new jute rope perch that he has. Some people would steer clear of rope perches if the bird is bent on destruction...not me. I love to provide them for chewers and simply keep an eye out for long frayed pieces that might become a tangle hazard. Every Birdroom should have a pair of scissors, a towel, a stick, and a spray water bottle at an easy access location. If you're like me, you get distracted while off looking for something and forget the original quest. The more streamlined and simple you keep your chores, the better. After all, bird chores are never really done...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home