Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Colorful Birds Like Colorful Food


The jury is still out on whether or not to serve the colored pellets...many are adamant that the food coloring is not healthy for birds. A recent conversation with Dr. Brian Speer was a different take on the issue. He suggested that by serving the varied colored pellets you are actually creating a foraging situation since many birds go for one color and shape over another. I must admit that my cockatiels enjoy the Fruity ZuPreem and the banana shaped yellow pellets are the last to be chosen. Therefore, they "forage" for the others. Interesting concept.
However, our birds see vividly in color and detail so my point of this post is to talk about the way to present a lovely colorful breakfast. When you shop for produce, think of the colors and textures. I am attempting to limit the sugar content for my birds so I am concentrating on more vegetables and less fruits. Serving apples, grapes, and bananas may be favored but it's just not that good for our birds. It may take some getting used to, but eventually they begin to explore their new cuisine. I also serve my Psittacine Cuisine daily which is a concoction of many cooked grains. The serving of breakfast is the highlight of the day around here! So, make it pretty!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home