Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Big Breakthrough With Knuckles




Knuckles has been at my home for quite some time now as he and Big Bird await their home repairs. Big Bird is a young (5 yrs) female greenwing macaw. Knuckles, on the other hand, is a 30+ year male greenwing who has some mobility problems. He had not been kept in a cage before but spent his time on a tree. At my home, he was caged. He adapted very nicely to a large cage with perches positioned for his easy movement. However, he was not open to stepping up and maneuvering down and out of the cage door. It frightened him. So we let him be. I did put a door perch on his door (a short perch on the inside of the door) so we might be able to open the cage door when he was on it.
A couple of days ago, I developed the largest bird room into a "macaw room". Macaws have to be in the same vicinity in the home or you have noise problems. They call back and forth and they do not whisper. Notice the sound proofing tiles on the wall in the photo.
Today I put the other macaws outside as is the normal routine. And, since the room was so spacious, I could move the large manzanita tree over to prop open Knuckle's cage door. Then...I left the room.
Imagine my surprise and delight when I returned and Knuckles had climbed out all by himself! He was quite happy with himself too! He spent the afternoon climbing on his cage and even coming to the tree. He watched as I brought all the other macaws in and put them away in their cages. Then...it was his turn to "go back". He knew what I wanted. However, he was a bit anxious and unable to climb down and go inside on his own. He would evade my attempts to have him step up. He's a big bird on top of a big cage. I asked my son, Paul, to come in and help me. Being 6'4" was the ticket! Plus having one person in front and the other in back. Knuckles knew what was going on. He was a little nervous but he eventually moved around and stepped onto the long stick that I offered. Then, I put him on his door perch and he jumped inside. I think the whole afternoon was successful for him and for me. The next time should be easier!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home