Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Parrot Nanny Milestones

When I have long term boarders I get the chance to really learn their strengths and weaknesses.  Then, I get to work on improving their lives.  I don't do anything drastic or quickly.

Most boarders are only here a short time.  Creating a stress free environment is my goal in those situations.  Boarding shouldn't be stressful.
 
Knuckles and Big Bird are spending a long time here due to various circumstances. Knuckles is an older greenwing macaw that has mobility issues. He has a nervous attitude about being transported. We've come a long way by allowing him to watch as I use a large perch to pick up and move the other macaws. He watches and learns. Then, he gets moved to the Atom etc. 


Knuckles (left) and Big Bird
 But yesterday was a true milestone. The weather was unseasonably warm and all of the parrots got to spend time outside in the outdoor cages. Knuckles watched as I moved them outside.  Then I came in to let him climb around the macaw room as usual.  I got a vibe from him that he wanted to "follow" Big Bird.  I offered him the stick and he climbed on and pointed towards the door.  Using a calm voice and announcing that we were going to see Big Bird, we moved outside.  He was delighted with himself for getting into the large flight cage.  Big Bird soon came over to be with him.  Such a happy day. 


A Warm February Day
 Getting him back inside at the end of the day was a little more of an adventure. I have a complex manzanita perching system inside the cage making it difficult for him and for me. I managed to get him on the stick and proceeded to climb out when he jumped onto the neighboring cage and climbed to the top.  Off he ran. 

The entire area is netted so we were safe in that respect.  I'm sure he was confused as to how to get back to Big Bird who was back in the indoor cage.  We offered a 6 ft long stick to Knuckles and he climbed aboard eagerly.  Maybe it was a bit frantic but I feel he now knows the routine and will calm down for the ride.  I can't wait to see the improvement in his muscle tone and feather health by being outside more.  Way to go Knuckles!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home