Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Can a cage be too big?

Joshua Wants Back Into the Small Cage
Joshua, while getting calmer and tamer, still tends to flail wildly if he panics.  In his regular cage he would get his wings caught between the bars.

I hated the worry about this happening and breaking the delicate bones in his wings. I decided that the safest cage in my home was the huge Exotic Enclosure in my living room because it has 1/2" bar spacing. 

I put Joshua in it and hoped he would enjoy the large play area with the many ropes, perches, and toys.  After a couple of weeks, I have observed that he does not like it.  He is too nervous to enjoy the expansive area.

So now I will come up with Plan B.  I want to put him back in his previous cage but first I will install some acrylic panels to prevent the wings from going through the bars.  Hopefully, Joshua will soon become calmer and less prone to the panic attacks.  Until then, I know he will prefer his smaller cage. 

I suppose the large enclosure was like trying to live in a huge and cavernous ballroom instead of a cozy and comforting bedroom.  I'll keep you updated...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home