Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Ahhhh SpringTime!

This weather has been so wonderful.  Finally I can rotate the parrots to the outdoor cages for some time in the sunshine and fresh air.
 
Big Bird and Knuckles seem to love it and they would choose to stay out all day long if they were allowed to.  Actually getting them to come inside is such an ordeal that they get to stay out for extra long periods. 

Whenever one is dealing with two bonded birds, there is a dynamic of protection and cooperative resistance that is exhausting.  I have resorted to having another person stand at the back of the enclosure, on the outside, to pose as a distraction.  They are more inclined to step up for me if another person is "looming" at the back. 

As with any behavior, the trick is not to allow it to become a "game".   Luckily, I have the schedule that allows for patience and calm.  I will go out and bring everyone else inside using the command, "Ready?" "Time to go back!"  It's a routine that Knuckles and Big Bird watch intently.  Then, they KNOW it's their turn. 

I request the initial step up...they refuse and rush to the back of the large enclosure.  I go into the house.  They wait there and wonder and move back to the door area.  Then I go out and ask again.  If they move away again, I go back inside.  The third time, I ask for some assistance from my son or anyone who is here visiting.  The "Good Cop, Bad Cop" method is always successful.  For one reason, they know that it's time for them to go inside.  And second, they are unsure what that other person is doing and feel more comfortable coming to me.  Behavior management is an ongoing challenge.  Keeping the drama out of the process is key.  Subtle manipulation...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home