Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Friday, June 3, 2011

A Place To Feel Sheltered

 Every parrot needs a place inside his cage where he can feel safe and calm.  Especially if he is next to another parrot or near a window.  Buster is next to Chauncey, my slender billed cockatoo.  He is also next to a large window.  So I created a shelter for him by attaching a rodent mat to the side of his cage.  I used cable ties (zip ties) pulled tight and I bent the top over to create roof of sorts.  I attached a piece of cuddle bone as an added enrichment.  
 Buster was suspicious at first.  He was bribed to go up and investigate by my putting his favorite foods in a crock near the new shelter.  Sure enough, that's all it took.   He went up and was soon quite comfortable roosting in his new shelter. 

However, he was so comfortable, that he started to chew on the irresistible mat.  That's what it's made for after all.  He spent days shredding the mat happily.

Luckily, these mats are cheap. 
They can be found in the small
animal section of any pet store.  


I guess Buster missed seeing his neighbor, Chauncey!  Now he has a window to peek out of. 

Whatever keeps a parrot busy is a good thing...
I guess I'll start buying these in bulk from now on!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home