Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Friday, July 20, 2007

The House Talks


Most people go through their everyday lives without really hearing their home. I don't mean listening for that lady in the wall that tells you about the termites eating away at your foundation! I mean the subtle little sounds that occur as you walk down the hall, open a door, or turn off the faucet. If you have an African Grey, you know these sounds. I will usually hear the sound from a grey and then, later, find out what sound is being replicated. The small squeak, beep, grrrr, or ding, is something that bird hears and repeats. When a grey visits, or I'm visiting a grey, I learn the sounds of that parrot's house. One particular high pitch squeak was baffling until I opened a nearby cage and heard the exact squeak! Is this fun and games for these greys? Do they find comfort is repeating the sounds? I found it fascinating to watch the grey parrots in the wild on the dvd from World Parrot Trust called Polly Vision. Out in the middle of Camaroon the parrots were beeping and whistling just like our birds. Obviously they haven't heard a microwave or a telephone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home