Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Joshua Grey A Cagebound Bird

Joshua is a Congo African Grey. He is not even two years old yet. He has had a rough beginning. Although he was handfed, fledged and weaned to a great diet, his first home became quickly unstable. The woman who adopted him and loved him was suddenly diagnosed with cancer and quickly succumbed to the disease. Joshua's life was totally sent into a tailspin.
The once tame and lovable bird became fearful, anxious, and cagebound. Luckily he found his way back to Rodies, his original launching point. Sarah Rodenburg knew this little guy would take some calm, patient, and consistent attention.
This would be difficult if not impossible in a store environment. Sarah entrusted me with Joshua.
I brought him home today and decided to keep him out of the cage for as long as possible. Once in a cage, he panics when asked to come out.
I turned him into a "birdy burrito" by wrapping him in a grey towel. Grey being a soothing color for a grey! I spent the entire afternoon rubbing the flat top of his head firmly. This put him into a calm state. Pressure on the top of the head is comforting.


Then, the towel started to move off. The induced coma allowed me to continue to massage him. I offered him an almond which was actively pursued.
Eventually, he was left on the bed to get his bearings. When he panicked and started his growling again, I simply wrapped him up and started over. Patience.
I will go slow and gain his trust and build his confidence. He will learn to enjoy the human touch again. When I finally placed him in a cage next to my bed, I left the door open. I walked back into the room and he had climbed out and up to the Jumbo Atom hanging next to the cage. Perhaps he's tired of being in a cage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home