Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Glove Use Around Parrots




Typically I do not recommend wearing a glove around a parrot. This stems from the general fear they have of anything new and different. However, recently I had a problem develop with Artie while she was staying here. She had chewed away at her foam collar and it became positioned over her head and was stressing her out. I called on my son, Paul, to come and assist me. He donned a glove called a "fillet glove" which is stainless steel mesh. Artie saw him enter the room and immediately fell in love. Some birds! I had been trying unsuccessfully to contain Artie by myself and she evaded me by flying and running around. Paul was able to skritch her and love her and calmly cut of the remains of the foam collar without any anxiety from Artie. She seemed to love the glove! So, go figure! After it was off, the neck rub was much appreciated. Artie is home now and doing fine without the collar. It's a wait and observe phase of her recovery. Perhaps she'll leave her chest alone....we hope.

1 Comments:

At 9:06 PM , Blogger Margie G. said...

So far, so good with Artie's little tummy. She's a daddy's girl, so I'm not at all surprised that she took to Paul like that. We are doing all we can to distract her and keep her busy in and out of her cage. Foraging time!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home