Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Mimic Comfort? Yes!


Zoey and PJ Comforting Each Other
Zoey, on the left,  is staying with me for the first time. She has never boarded anywhere!  It was stressful for her the first day as she missed her mom and wasn't used to a multiple-bird environment.  She found a favorite spot in the cage and stayed there.  

I noticed that she wasn't going to the food dish so I inserted an In and Out cup up where she was stationary.  I also moved an active and happy guest Goffins over to be parallel with her.  PJ would comfort her and when PJ moved around, so did Zoey!  When PJ started eating, so did Zoey!  Now Zoey is more comfortable and I even caught her playing with a toy.  Hallelujah.  She is still a little shy, but PJ will draw out her personality soon!

I also used this method with Lily, a first time boarding grey.  She was taken aback by the environment and stayed quite still the first day.  I turned Lily's cage to put her preferred perch next to Joshua's food dish.  As she watched Joshua chow down, she quickly mimicked the behavior and went to find her food.

There is something magical about watching a bird watch a same species bird next to her for the first time.  A kinship is quickly formed.  I luckily have many eager parrots ready to show the newcomers how great this place is.  Lots of good food and attention!    

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home