Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Indy is in No Hurry

 Life around here is very routine.  I move along at a casually enjoyable speed tending to each bird and getting the many chores done. 

One of those routine chores is to rotate the birds to the large outdoor flight cages.  Indy, this smug hyacinth macaw, has his own idea of time.  You see, first you ask him to step up.  That's his cue to latch onto the cage bars with his huge feet and even huger beak.  It would take a numatic jack to pry him off.  One must resort to psychology.  I stop asking and close his cage.  Then proceed to take out another macaw.  Each time I come in, I ask Indy if he wants to go outside?  "Want to go out and get a cracker?"  Again he becomes fixed to the cage.  I close the door and get a different bird.  And so on and so on...
 It occurs to me that his mom and dad probably have a lot more time than I do!

Indy seems to expect a bribe of a good head rub while going through the gyrations of getting him out of the cage. 
Okay, I can do that...  I begin with the expected head skritch, especially around the yellow skin around his eyes.  He loves that! 

But I like to work my way out to the wings and tail too.  Indy has some big powerful beautiful tail feathers arriving.  They have a thick coating of keratin protecting the young feathers.  If the keratin is dry, it is supposed to get removed.  Of course Indy doesn't take to that sissy chore.  But I get pleasure from breaking open the casting and flaking it off.  Inside?  A beautiful blue tail feather. 

Once this long process is accomplished by his hand maiden, he will usually condescend to coming out.   If he stays stubborn, I leave him alone.  (I think he likes watching the TV in there.)  If my son, Paul, is home, I ask Paul to walk around the back of the cage.  Just stand there I say, don't even look at him.  Sure enough, Indy steps on my hand quite handily.  Good hand vs. the unknown person standing at the back.  Good cop, bad cop. 
Once outside?  Indy is very happy!  So I can't figure out why he is so reluctant!  Hmmm.  Maybe it's the free massage.  He is training me!

1 Comments:

At 11:21 PM , Blogger Margie G. said...

I saw Indy over the weekend - what a GORGEOUS bird he is. I'm glad you are able to coax him outside to enjoy that marvelous playland you have in your backyard.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home