Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Joshua The Grey

Joshua is a difficult case of a bird.  He was given to me because he was not handlable. He actually was a handfed baby but spent the first 18 months of his life being a companion that wasn't handled.  He kept a woman company in her last months of life when, as soon as he was adopted, she was diagnosed with cancer.  

He was quite cage bound when he first arrived here.  He is an absolutely wonderful companion but is deathly afraid of being asked to "step up". 

He has a quick wit and a vocabulary that makes me laugh daily.  A gentleman named Hermann has come to visit frequently and had the patience and perseverance to win Joshua's trust.  Joshua would nervously remain on Hermann's forearm and even his hand.

I, however, haven't had the time to develop the trust and rapport needed to win Joshua over.  The fact that I towel him to groom him and move him taints my chances.

I enjoy him and he enjoys me, as long as handling isn't involved!
 
Lately, I've wanted Josh to get outside for the sunshine and mistings.  The only way to get him there...is to wrap him up in a towel and transport him like a burrito.
 
Once outdoors, he is a happy parrot.  He thrives in the fresh air and even likes the spray showers!  But the transporting him back and forth is not fun or easy for either of us. 

Alas, Hermann has stopped coming to visit.  He got frustrated that Joshua would regress if he didn't get a visit for a few days.  I know Joshua would make a great companion parrot for someone with the time and patience to build a relationship.  My dilemma is...should I try to find that special person?  Or do I keep Joshua here where he is obviously happy and well cared for? 

Giving up a parrot is the most difficult thing to do.  Each parrot has a personality and a relationship with me.  How would he take to a new home and a new person?  He would undoubtedly be frightened and insecure.  So I guess I just answered my own question.  Joshua will just have to endure the evil towel until he figures out that things would go a lot easier if he would simply comply.  

I love the way Joshua picks up words and phrases in a matter of minutes.  He adds a lot to this house of parrots!  I simply feel guilty that he can't be cuddled.  Hmmm, what grey likes to be cuddled?  Not many!   

1 Comments:

At 9:39 AM , Blogger Margie G. said...

I know how you feel! I have my two cockatoos who I'd love to find perfect "forever homnes" for where they could be the focus of attention and love. They have great lives here, but one especially does not like being a team player. They'd both be happier as only (or near-only) "kids". You voiced the problem well - once they're in someone else's possession, you can't guarantee their level of safety or happiness. I'm hoping there are wonderful, 'too-loving adopters out there who I can work with as needed to ensure my birds' continued contentment.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home