Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Noisy Noisy Tank


This is Tank of the duo Kiku and Tank. Tank has been staying with me because he has become increasingly noisy at home and instigates many boisterous sessions of screaming. As an experiment, we are trying them separately. Kiku is apparently much quieter by himself and is not appearing to miss Tank. Kiku was the original bird in the home and Tank was added later as a companion. Tank exhibits a more needy personality. He has learned to create a raucous outcry that brings him attention. I have been working on teaching him to entertain himself without needing as much human interaction. This has been a noisy proposition! I have my handy dandy earplugs in my pocket ready to be inserted when he gets going.
I have experimented with caging Ben, my Blue Crown Conure, with Tank. This works fine and they coexist peacefully. Since they won't be staying together, I also cage them separately side by side. The two boys go outside to a shady cage where they both thoroughly enjoy being soaked with the sprayer hose. This makes them quiet, for a while. . . I have put into practice all of my little tricks for quieting a parrot. Foraging, showers, distraction, change of scenery, exercise, and an early-to-bed schedule. Will anything make Tank a quiet species of parrot? Absolutely not. But...I am hopeful that he can learn to be quieter! And I am hopeful that he can re-enter his home and be a sweet entertaining character who is not too demanding. I am also taking notice of what exactly gets him going. One morning he was nice and quiet and I had the audacity to walk through the room with my laundry basket. Off went the alarm and it would not stop. Perhaps Tank is a "sentry parrot" who feels that it is his job to alert the flock to any perceived danger. In my flock, Josey Wales, my Umbrella Cockatoo, is the sentry. Now, THERE'S a loud sentry! I have to place Josey's cage in the interior of the birdroom so he doesn't sound the alarm whenever someone drives by. Today a young buck deer ran up the street and all hell broke loose around here. In the case of such an unusual occurance, they ALL become sentries! Oh boy...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home