Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Feather Picking Frustrations


Buster, "my fluffy grey," is getting worse. Some of you know the frustration of loving a feather picking parrot. There are many ups and downs. Things start to improve, but you know not to get too encouraged. For who knows what reason, the damaging behavior revs up again and all progress is lost. I always suggest creating the best possible environment and then just loving the bird regardless of the outward appearance. Staying calm and "unaffected" and not taking it personally is key. I generally do not recommend collaring the bird for chronic picking but now feel compelled to try it for Buster. This photo shows the first prototype of a collar/bib that is made of felt. (Obviously not meant to last long!) Once I get the design pattern determined, a more substantial model will be constructed. Or, if it bothers him and raises his anxiety level, I may forget the whole thing! We'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home