Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Busy Times

Joshua In Large Enclosure


I apologize for not posting lately!  The cold weather and multiple indoor chores has kept me very busy. I miss putting the parrots in the outdoor cages!  I think they miss it too.
 
Joshua, seen here, has been moved to the huge Exotic Enclosure in my living room. He had been in a large "macaw size" cage before.  However, whenever he panicked and flailed about, he was in danger of breaking a wing. 

Bar spacing in a cage is very important.  Most people think of the potential of the head getting stuck.  But actually it's the wings that are most vulnerable.  The wing bones are very light, hollow, and fragile. 

One day, a few weeks ago, when I was toweling Joshua to take him outside, he got himself into a real traumatic situation. He was in the back corner and his wings went through the bars in two places. I held him still with the towel and called for my son to come running.  Paul helped me maneuver the wings out of the bars carefully.  Ever since then, I've been worried that Josh would hurt himself in a panic. 

So, I moved him to the Exotic Enclosure with the narrowest bar spacing (1/2" X 3").  In there, I can work with him without this fear.  He has grown in his wings completely now and has enjoyed flying around my home like a crazy man. It has helped to build his confidence and self esteem. 

He is learning to trust stepping onto the back of a flat hand but will not stay on the hand when it moves. When he is out of the cage and flying about, I lean down and ask him to step up.  He does so beautifully.  However, it is a long and patient process to get him back to his cage because he only stays on the hand for a moment.  He's off and flying at the first sign of transport! I have determined, painfully, that he wants nothing to do with any holding of the toes!  Ouch!

I have a pair of loving and caring people who come to the home regularly to work with Joshua.  Claudia and her father, Hermann, come on different days and consistently work with Joshua to make him feel comfortable with stepping onto hands.  Hands are good, not evil.  They have made huge progress!  Thank you Claudia!  Thank you Hermann!  Your calm and loving attention is making a big difference in Joshua's life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home