Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Monday, December 20, 2010

Chauncey Gets A Big Cage

I recently was able to upgrade some of my birds to larger cages.  This is always exciting for any parrot.  It's like moving!  Chauncey went from his regular size macaw cage to a deluxe size cage.  When a parrot is in the same cage for a long time, it becomes cluttered with lots of toys.  I removed everything and then gave some real thought to exactly what Chauncey actually enjoys.  He is big on foraging.  He gets all of his pellets, seeds, and nuts in foraging toys.  The only food served in his bowl is the cooked grains (my famous Psittacine Cuisine) and the Munch Muffins (also a home baked goodie).  If I give him any pellets or seeds in a crock, he uses that specialized long beak to shovel it out to the floor.  Fun eh?  Unfortunately, Chauncey doesn't chew on wood.  He loves anything tactile.  He'll use his sensitive beak to feel the ends of rope, cloth, or shreddable toys.
This new cage change allowed me to place certain toys in different positions. 

Anyone who knows Chauncey, knows that he loves to dance and sing.  So what else would make a perfect toy?  A musical toy!  I had placed this in his previous cage a few weeks ago.  However, being the big chicken that he is, he refused to play with it.  I would push the buttons and sing and dance.  He would do the singing and dancing but not touch the toy!  However, I installed it down near his food bowl and now he is investigating the buttons!  Now, I keep hearing the electronic music and answering my phone...  I'm not the brightest bird in the flock!

1 Comments:

At 5:59 PM , Blogger Margie G. said...

Chauncey! We love you! PJ still says "Shower?" thanks to you, you little sweetie. We're glad you have a new mansion to play in.

See you soon!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home