Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Monday, July 10, 2006

A Difficult Cockatoo

I am boarding a Citron Crested Cockatoo at the moment who is a difficult "case." She has spent the entire sixteen years of her life with "her man" and she is accustomed to being on him all of the time. Strictly a shoulder bird. At her home, "she is rarely in her cage." The woman of the house (human) indicated to me that this bird "doesn't like women and bites" which makes getting on MY shoulder a "no no." Oh yeah, did I mention this bird is spoken to in Dutch? This has been a fun week. No really! I have tried to calm this bird and teach her to stay on my hand. She has some feather issues so I have also been misting her daily. I introduced this concept to her by misting every other bird in the room first. She saw them enjoying it and when it was her turn, success, she too enjoyed it! Hopefully, by the time she goes home, I'll have instilled some basic training into her life. It's important to train your bird to be successful in any home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home