Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Friday, July 28, 2006

Expertise or Easy? (con't)

The second macaw, Lily, was a different story. She was terrified at first. "She hates the shower and will scream bloody murder" I was told. I spent some time standing next to her cage facing away at an angle and spoke with the daughter. Lily just hearing my voice was relaxing because I speak in a low calm voice. Occasionally glancing in her direction and saying, "Hi" in a gutteral macaw way. She started pinning her eyes, fluffing her head, and leaning over and raising her wings. (I know this as a loving behavior, like blowing a kiss.) She was less agitated and she had watched the goings on with Oliver so I opened her cage door and used the same method only with the stick and the orange ring toy. She was scared but nervously stepped onto the stick and I brought her out while talking calmly to her. Off to the shower! She became quite animated in the shower while I sang songs to her. She started talking and playing. Another huge surprise to the astonished daughter. "She has never seen her so comfortable in the shower before." A fun visit that was indeed a success. Lily, by the way is looking for a permanent home. One with patience and macaw knowledge. She has an exceptional vocabulary and will trust again sometime soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home