Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Friday, November 17, 2006

Why Board With Me?

This is Artie. She is a sweet shy little girl goffins that had just recovered from a bit of mutilation on her chest. Mom decided to keep the plastic collar on while she boarded with me just to
make sure that she didn't get anxious and open herself up again. Boarding (even here!) can be stressful. Artie seemed to accept the collar okay. She probably would have enjoyed life more without it! She didn't seem interested in food at all. I observed her closely and tried to tantalize her with various concoctions. She would play with a seed or nut but would shun the fresh produce and other foods. I spent a lot of time holding pinches of warmed cooked grains (my psittacine cuisine!) in my fingers and pretending to eat it as I offered her a bite. "Yum!" I would say, and she would taste it. I felt as if I were priming an engine. She would taste a little sample and I would delicately place it in a smart crock right next to her. Smart Crock makes a wonderful shallow plastic crock that slips in and out of an easy-to-install mount that can be placed wherever you want it to be. Great for parrots that resist going down to the food bowl for their breakfast! Warm scrambled egg? Warm Harrison's Mash with banana? I was very aware of her intake and her output, or should I say, "outpoop?" She gradually ate a little more. Once she was "primed" (I could see her naked crop fill!) she became interested in little morsels of pomegranate! I felt that was the epitome of success! You go girl! Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home