Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

CLOSE OBSERVATION DETECTS PROBLEM

Today I brought Wishes up to my office to play on the hanging ropes. She seemed very light to me. I placed her on my bed and spent some time preening her neck and head. Sure enough....she flinched with her head down and her wings flickering. This behavior is well known to those who hand feed baby parrots. She was begging for food. I prepared a warm gruel formula made up with Harrison's Mash and a jar of baby food and filled a large syringe. I filled her up and, from the look of it, she seemed quite relieved.

When I placed her back in her cage, I installed a shallow "In and Out Crock" next to her with her pellets in it. She started eating the pellets right away!

I had been putting her in the large exotic enclosure each day to play in the expansive toy-filled space. This was too stimulating and she played more than she ate. She also found herself further away from the food dishes! She is only seven months old and at risk for suddenly regressing with regard to eating. Especially with a boarding situation!

She's back on track and eating well now. Sometimes you just have to prime the pump to get it going again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home