Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Parrots and TV

Some parrots enjoy watching TV. They can certainly see it and, although high resolution is probably more enjoyable for them, as it is for us, the old fashion TVs are adequate for short periods.


Wouldn't it be a grand excuse though to go buy a new set! Chauncey here is positioned near my dining room TV. He tolerates my shows like The View and CNN, but he shows a completely different response to children's television. Observations are clear that what they see affects them. With Chauncey, he is obviously entertained by calm shows that are meant for young children. (see top photo) However, when the program escalates to a more high energy...so does he! (Lower photo was taken just before he started singing!) This isn't bad in Chauncey's case because he is a high energy bird and this allows him to expend some of this!

I have found, however, that TV isn't for every bird. When I have it on in my "noisy room" where Lucy, Molly, and Josey are located, they get overly agitated. I do not feel they are entertained, just annoyed. Therefore, no TV is left on for them!

Buster, my calm and conservative grey, seems to really enjoy the cooking channel. This is the channel I will turn on for birds that I visit. There's something about the one-on-one eye-to-eye connection with the viewing audience that is captivating to a parrot. I don't think it hurts that the topic is food either!

I have a TV in every room, including each bird area. It isn't a substitute for interaction with people but it is entertainment! After all, these guys are highly intelligent and need multiple ways to alleviate boredom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home