Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Monday, December 10, 2007

HAVE A "PLAN B"

I have my own sometimes obnoxious parrots who sometimes try to get away with being obstinate. I can read them and always have a way to back off and proceed on a different path when they decide they aren't having what I'm giving. In other words, I ask them to step up and they say "no." I don't make a big deal out of it...I just go to plan B. It is important to have a Plan B and Plan C and even a Plan D for those rare days.

This is even more important for me when I am dealing with "other people's children."

When I am working with someone else's birds, I have to have a "bag of tricks" to draw upon when my first attempts are thwarted. I rarely get bitten because I stay calm, back off, and come again using another method.

I first ask for a step up verbally. By watching closely, I can react quick enough to avoid a bite. Body language is everything for a parrot. It is important not to just give up and go away at this point. That will embolden the bird and teach it to be difficult. I back off for a second and then come back... the most successful Plan B is to hold another object in one hand as you request a step up with the other. (Good Hand Bad Hand) The distraction of the object will make the plain hand seem like a friendly and less confusing alternative.

Another method is to fold a towel over the hand/arm and request the bird to step onto the towel. Some birds are less threatened with the toweled hand. Many gripping birds actually enjoy being transported by having them hang on a towel as you walk around. (Amazons love this. ) Many birds are stick trained and will prefer to step onto a stick. When my Umbrella Male gets excited (see photo) I can always take a towel and wrap him up to his delight. Another sneaky trick is to offer a nut... I use this one with a big Greenwing Macaw who will nervously lunge. I give him a big walnut and when he has it in his beak, I request the step up and he climbs aboard without dropping the precious nut.

It is important to work with your own birds to get them used to a few of these various methods. If they are stick trained, or comfortable with a towel, those difficult days will be less traumatic for both of you. It will also make it much much easier for me when I care for them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home