Parrot Nanny Gayle Reece

Gayle Reece Parrot Nanny Caring for parrots in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Life As A Parrot Nanny. Quite an interesting business! Email me at gayle@parrotnanny.com

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Plenty Keeps Me Busy

Not everyone would thrive in this environment.  And this isn't just anyone's living room!  I am greeted each morning with a chorus of "Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to work we go!" I wish you could hear the chorus. 

Surprisingly, most of the time this home is fairly quiet.  That's a relative determination, of course.  But all in all, for having a house of parrots, they are usually happy and talkative, not screaming.  Since Ben, my 33 year old Blue Crown Conure,  is near the front of the house and let's out a blood curdling alarm when someone arrives, it may not seem quiet when you first get here! 

But back to my day's agenda...Let the fun begin!  I fortunately maintain the right attitude and calmly sing my way around the house as I uncover all the cages and happily say good morning to every bird.  I can keenly observe how each is doing by their posture, poop, and looking them in the eye.  (covertly, of course)

Then I prepare the breakfast bowls, change out the cage papers, and again give each bird their share of attention.  Of course, at that stage of the day, they really just want breakfast!  They thrive being in a multi parrot home.  They watch intently as the breakfasts are served and their neighbor digs in whole heartedly.  

My day gets gobbled up with supplying clean water bowls, fresh pellets and seeds, and the never ending job of sweeping the floors.  There is always a parrot that needs to be rotated to a play area or given a shower or newly made toy.  I have many stainless steel skewers and bins of holed toy parts and cardboard to quickly make something fun for any bird. 

This daily regiment might seem monotonous to some, and it could be that.  But the day is interspersed with the comings and goings of various birds which means I get fun visits from their moms and dads.  Discussing parrot behavior and the challenges of sharing our homes with these intelligent and comical creatures makes for interesting discussion topics!  Also, all of the parrots love it when someone walks through and says hello.   

My home, my business, and my life is not for everyone.  But I love it!  I have the macaw room, the cockatiel room, the conure room, and the living room seen in the photo.  You can see for yourself, I always have something to do!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home